Proposer une release

🍍 Ananas It !En savoir plus

Une discussion au hasard !

TV Incongrue

Zap! | Plein écran

Pinacothèque

Alternatives

Voir la galerie de la discussion

Vanilla 1.3.0 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Bienvenue sur le forum des musiques incongrues

Ce que vous allez trouver ici :

Cerise sur le gâteau, vous pouvez très facilement apporter votre contribution à tout ça. Pour ce faire, le mieux est encore de vous connecter ou de vous inscrire :)

Enfin, vous pouvez nous contacter directement à l'adresse email : contact (CHEZ) musiques-incongrues (POINT) net

•  
      CommentAuthormbertier
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2012

J'en suis juste au début et c'est déjà très canon.

http://soundcloud.com/construct/mixthreelarrygus

http://i1.sndcdn.com/artworks-000033650610-1114sl-original.jpg?b0a579f

-

Welcome to the third in the Construct Mix Series, an irregular series of DJ mixes devoted to the world beyond the dancefloor.

From experimental electronics and dark ambient to psychedelic pop and blissed-out indie, the direction of each mix is completely of the artist's choosing.
    In keeping with the series' broad remit, featured selectors will include label owners, journalists, promoters and collectors as well as DJs and producers.

Mix Three is from DFA's newest signing Greek-born-Milan-based producer Panagiotis Melidis, or to you and I, Larry Gus.

We hope you enjoy...

-

LARRY GUS (DFA)

-

Panagiotis Melidis (born and grew up in Veria, Imathia) started to write music as Larry Gus (larigas: greek for throat, larynx), inspired by the rural environment of his hometown. Initially, he spent some time composing music for TV commercials, and later on he got his name due to some chaotic live performances. His first album proper, "Stitches", was released on Greek hip-hop label Cast-A-Blast in late 2009. Soon after that, he resided to the Music Technology Group in Barcelona (Reactable, Freesound) as an intern and postgraduate student.

On spring 2010, after contacting Eothen "Egon" Alappat (then GM of Stones Throw), he received a Now-Again/Stones Throw "samples" hard-disk. For his second proper album, "Years Not Living" (to be released early 2013), he relocated back to Veria and delved into those (and other) archives, his sound evolving into a densely layered combination of psych-pop, african chants, harsh brass freakouts and percussion-heavy drumbeats. The 10 songs in YNL were carefully selected from the 85 tracks that were the result of those sessions. The feature film "My Friend Larry Gus" (director: dipyadeep) which documents the procedure of creating "Years Not Living" back in Greece, will be released in 2013.

Meanwhile, among remixes (YACHT, Dana Buoy, Way Yes) he also released the mini-album "24 Beats (July '11)" on the Lefse Records imprint, Waaga.

So far, he has performed alongside such acts as Caribou, Ariel Pink, Edan, Hype Williams, !!!, Demdike Stare, Alex Smoke, Old Apparatus and John Maus at various venues around the world and has also participated at the 2nd Athens Biennial and 2nd Nuit Blanche à Metz. Panagiotis currently lives and works in Milano, Italy, still carrying certain obsessions with Lucio Battisti, Woody Allen, Georges Perec, and Otis Jackson Jr.

His debut for DFA Records this year will be a free album entitled "Silent Congas", released imminently.

-

ABOUT THE MIX

-

When thinking about this mix, i can mostly remember this disgusting mediterranean heatwave that breaks us apart every July and August. It drives all the mosquitos nuts and they attack like crazy (without even trying to hold on to their usual manners). It's that kind of heat that makes all food smell like shit, families become estranged, fat people thin and dreams turn into nightmares.

But i really loved the procedure. The sole constraint that i imposed myself with, was that it has to be only vinyl that i have here in Milan. The best (i.e. biggest) part of my collection still resides in my hometown in Greece, and most of the records i buy here is material that i am using for sampling.

My turntable is a portable Numark PT-01 with a really worn-out stylus, but i must admit that i am in love with it's low-mid sound. All you have to do is run it through a decent compressor, and everything melts together perfectly. The only issue was that i had to rip each track from the records, and then actually do the mix in Ableton. I decided to put some non-vinyl tracks in there, namely some excerpts from my Rhythm Profiles project, which consist only of percussive and rhythmic tools.

Regarding some choices in the track list:

- I am really glad that i met Giuseppe Ielasi (Senufo Editions) here in Milan. He is a constant inspiration, and on the side he keeps feeding me with high quality material.

- I discovered Lamburg Tony's Hip Hop Nation LP on Escho through an Eric Copeland interview. This record is B-A-N-A-N-A-S. I love it with all my heart.

- I placed Panda Bear side to side with Missa Luba just because Pete Kember was saying in the Animal Collective forum that Noah really loves this record. The connection is apparent in those two songs.

- I have a huge crush with late 70's / early 80's ECM. They accuse Manfred Eicher that this is the only period that the label lost its "direction", but man, if only all labels got lost like that!

- This FFWD album is in fact Fripp, Patterson, Fehlmann and Weston. Really awful cover though.

- Toby Dammit must be the single most underrated drummer and producer in the last 10 years. Elvin Jones meets Jaki Liebezeit meets Dan Taylor. With a modified 808!!

-

TRACKLISTING

-

0.00 - 0.37: Percussion Profiles - Movement 1 (ECM, 1978)
    0.37 - 2.06: Ippu Do - Yomotolo-Walya (Epic, 1981)
    2.06 - 4.37: Ulrich P. Lask - Apres-Ski (ECM, 1984)
    4.37 - 5.40: Lehn/Schmickler - Kölner Kranz (A-Musik, 2008) / Alessandro Brivio - Associazioni Poro (A) (Senufo Editions, 2011) / Percussion Profiles - Movement 4 (ECM, 1978) / Larry Gus - Rhythm Profile #27 (Unreleased, 2012)
    5.40 - 7. 48: Tobby Dammit - Mondus Operandi (Omplatten, 2000) / Sebatu Gong Keybar - Gilak (Archiv Produktion, 1972)
    7.48 - 11.47: FFWD - Colossus (Inter-Modo, 1994)
    11.47 - 13.10: Larry Gus - Rhythm Profile #11 (Unreleased, 2012) / Percussion Profiles - Movement 5 (ECM, 1978)
    13.10 - 14.45: Daniel Padden - Rattling Belt (Dekorder, 2011)
    13.10 - 16.45: Giuseppe Ielasi - Untitled 1 (Schoolmap, 2008)
    14.45 - 16.25: Guem - Rythme Douda (Le Chant Du Monde, 1973)
    16.25 - 18.39: Les Troubadours Du Roi Baudoin - Kyrie (Fontana, 1958)
    18.39 - 22.50: Panda Bear - Alsatian Darn (7" Version) (Domino, 2010)
    22.50 - 24.36: Santo & Johny - Taste of Honey (Canadian American, 1967)
    24.36 - 27.32: Ornella Vanoni - C'e Qualcosa Che Non Sai (Ariston, 1971)
    27.32 - 29.16: Lehn/Schmickler - Kölner Kranz (A-Musik, 2008) / Meredith Monk - Engine Steps (ECM, 1983)
    29.16 - 32.43: Lamburg Tony - Værtshussport (Escho, 2008)
    32.43 - 34.00: Larry Gus - Rhythm Profile #25 (Unreleased, 2012) / Alessandro Brivio - Associazioni Poro (B) (Senufo Editions, 2011) / Enrico Malatesta - Bestiario Vol. 1 (A) (Second Sleep, 2010)
    34.00 - 35.36: Stewart Copeland - Gong Rock (A&M, 1985)
    35.36 - 37.12: Percussion Profiles - Movement 5 (ECM, 1978)
    37.12 - 38.52: Daniel Padden - We Have Crossed 33 Rivers, But Please Return (Dekorder, 2011)
    38.52 - 41.55: Mo' Kolours - Talking Move (One Handed Music, 2012)
    41.55 - 42.46: Larry Gus - Rhythm Profile #16 (Unreleased, 2012)
    42.16 - 43.25: Yes - Dum Dum Leave (Leave It) (Voice of Afrika Bootleg Edit) (Melody Records, 1982)
    43.25 - 45.44: Roy Ayers - Africa (Center of the World) (Voice of Afrika Bootleg Edit) (Melody Records, 1982)
    45.35 - 46.30: Ippu Do - Dubling Radio (Epic, 1981)
    46.30 - 48.16: FFWD - Klangtest (Inter-Modo, 1984) / Larry Gus - Rhythm Profile #29 (Unreleased, 2012)
    48.16 - 50.35: Larry Gus - S-Rhythm Profile #6 (Unreleased, 2012) / Ulrich P. Lask - Ordnung (ECM, 1984)
    50.35 - 53.51: Seigen Ono - Look For An Afternoon (Venture, 1988)
    53.51 - 55.26: Peter Seiler - Tokyo IC Salad (Innovative Communication, 1986)
    55.26 - 58.51: Orhes Stenyt and His Hawaian Guitar with the Metropolitans - African Cry (Bang! Bang!, 1972)
    58.51 - 59.45: Lehn/Schmickler - Kölner Kranz (A-Musik, 2008)
    59.45 - 1.00.28: Larry Gus - S-Rhythm Profile #1 (Unreleased, 2012)
    1.00.28 -1.07.54: Tom Van Der Geld and Children at Play - Golden Stabs (ECM 1978)
    1.07.54 - 1.09.46: I Pooh - Terra Desolata [sped up to 45rpm] (CGD, 1971)

-

FURTHER READING

-

http://www.larrygus.com
    http://www.dfarecords.com

-

http://www.constructindustries.com

Les mixes précédents sont aussi dispo sur le soundcloud :

http://soundcloud.com/construct/sets/constructmixseries/